Did you know?: During a game that carried into the dusk hours, Clarkson once pitched a lemon to the plate to persuade the umpire, Jack Kerins to call the game due to darkness. Kerins called the lemon a strike, and when shown by Boston’s catcher that he had called a lemon a strike, Kerins finally called the game.

Saturday, December 18, 2010

News and Notes

With the first portion of the season over, let’s take a look at some of the events of the early season:

In the National League, the Los Angeles Trojans have streaked out of the gate to post a league-best 26-8 record. The long time Fish Taco team move to its new and improved digs in Los Angeles, and so far the team has responded well to their new home. The fans have also responded, coming out in droves and becoming something an “in” spot for local celebrities, including Tom Cruise, Jeff Bridges and Cameron Diaz among others.

“It’s great to see the fans out here supporting us. With all the money in this town, it’s great to see the production that goes into our home games.” Said Brian Evers, the slugging Trojan 1B. “It was a little overwhelming at first, I was even rumored to be to dating Emma Stone at one point! But things have settled down, and it’s been great.”

In the American League, the New York Bombers have rallied around their fallen hurler, Julio Saenz and posted a ML best 28-6 record. The Bombers, one of the few remaining original Clarkson teams, were dealt a devastating blow early in the season with the loss of Saenz, who may be out up to two years recovering. However the Bombers have come together, and are currently being led by one of the all-time greats in Raul Urbina, who was acquired in the offseason after leaving Jackson.

“I had a great run in Jackson, but it feels great to be here in New York on the big stage. I’ve had a great career, and I don’t know how many years I have left after my current contract runs out.” The Clarkson great said in a recent interview, “So I’m just trying to maximize my time and enjoy it as much as possible. Hopefully I can help push the Bombers to a World Series title this year, and next for that matter.”

In International news, the Cincinnati Scallywags made a huge acquisition after negotiating the rights to Cuban defector Kiki Navarre. Navarre looks to be a sure-fire all-star with electric stuff, and the Scallywags had to pay top dollar to get him. It has been an interesting ride for Navarre to say the least:

“In Cuba, it is a very hard life from where I am from.” Navarre said through a translator, “We had very little, and it was hard to find the equipment to play baseball. My uncle gave me a glove one year for my birthday, but I think he might have stolen it. I used that glove every day until I was discovered by some scouts from America. Now I am here and very happy, and look forward to buying a new glove.”

It has been an exciting year so far in Clarkson, and we all are looking forward to see what happens next. Until next time, you stay classy Hard Ball Dynasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment